Frequently Asked Questions
Graduate Certificate in Strategic Communication and Graduate Certificate in Social and New Media Programs
Q: What is the best way to apply?
A: Apply online because online applicants do not incur a $35 application fee. Apply Now!
Q: What materials are required for admission to the Certificate Programs?
A: Prospective students must do the following:
- Submit the online application through the La Salle University Website.
- Submit a professional résumé.
- Submit two letters of recommendation from any combination of academic or professional sources.
- The official transcript of the applicant directly to La Salle by the B.A./B.S. academic institution.
- Have an interview with the Graduate Academic Advisor by phone or in-person.
- Complete a brief personal statement describing your reasons for pursuing a graduate degree in Strategic Communication at La Salle University.
Q: What are the requirements for the Certificate Program in Strategic Communication?
A: This certificate program requires 18 credits. There are three required courses: COM 601 Professional Communication Ethics, COM 602 Effective Presentations, and COM 612 Approaches to Organizational Communication—and 10.5 elective credits to complete. No transfer courses are allowed in this Certificate program.
Q: What are the requirements for the Certificate in Social and New Media?
A: This certificate program requires 13.5 credits. There are four required courses: COM 601 Professional Communication Ethics, COM 641 Social Media, CIS 646 Collaboration Technologies, and INL 635 Digital Media Content Development—and 3 elective credits to complete. No transfer courses are allowed in this certificate program.
Q: If I want to enter the M.A. Program after the Certificate program, how can this be accomplished?
A: The process for transferring into the M.A. once the certificate is completed is quite simple: (1) Your GPA in the Certificate Program must be at least a 3.0, and (2) you must write a letter to the Graduate Director requesting the transfer at least one semester before you intend to start the M.A. If these two items are “present,” transfer into the M.A. program is automatic.
Q: How many of my Certificate courses would transfer in to the M.A. Program?
A: All of them. Of course, there would be additional courses required to complete the M.A., but students in the Certificate Program can use all of their credits within the M.A. Program.