The 24 Month STEM Optional Practical Training Extension is a period of temporary training that directly relates to an F-1 student’s program of study in an approved STEM field. On May 10, 2016, this extension effectively replaced the previous 17-month STEM OPT extension. (Study in the States)
La Salle University’s STEM designated programs provide leading academic and technological resources that foster a passion for innovation which drives our students toward success in STEM related fields.
This extension allows for our students who graduated from La Salle University with certain DHS-designated STEM degrees (see below for listing) the unique opportunity to apply for a 24-month OPT extension on their pre-existing Post Completion OPT, if they:
- Received a STEM-qualifying bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral degree that is listed below
- Are on a valid period of full time standard post-completion OPT
- Have an offer of paid employment for at least 20 hours per week from an employer enrolled in E-Verify.
STEM Designated Degree Programs at La Salle University include:
- B.S. in Biochemistry (26.0202)
- B.S. in Biology (26.0101)
- B.S. in Chemistry (40.0501)
- B.A. in Computer Science (11.0701)
- B.S. in Computer Science (11.0701)
- B.S. in Environmental Science (03.0104)
- B.S. in Informational Technology (11.0103)
- B.S. in Integrated Science Business Technology (30.0601 Systems Science and Theory)
- B.A. in Mathematics (27.0101)
- B.S. in Mathematics (27.0101)
- B.S. in Business System and Analytics (52.1301 Management Science)
- MBA in Business Systems and Analytics (52.1301 Management Science)
A limited number of partial scholarships are available annually to outstanding students specializing in Business Systems and Analytics in the full-time and one-year MBA programs. Check in with the program director for more information.
- B.S. in Nutrition (30.1901)
STEM OPT Extension Process
Confirm your Eligibility
Contact ISSS at email@example.com 90 days before your current OPT expires.
Prepare Form I-983 Training Plan with your employer.
Complete the STEM OPT Application checklist
Stop by the MIC to pick up an application
Request an STEM OPT Appointment
Contact ISSS at firstname.lastname@example.org
Submit application to USCIS
Please visit Study in the States for more information about the STEM OPT Extension.
If you have any questions please contact ISSS at email@example.com.
Disclaimer: This extension is not a guarantee and many factors – both personal and academic – are considered by the US government before granting an extension. All students have the right and the opportunity to apply for these programs; however, the government has full discretion on denial and acceptance. The Department of Homeland Security’s STEM Designated List frequently changes as fields are either added or removed from the approved list.