Program/University Overview: Fudan University is the leading university in Shanghai and one of the top universities in China (currently ranked in the Top 3). Fudan is ranked #14 in the Top 200 Universities in the world. It was founded in 1905 and today is at the forefront of cultivating talent for modern China. The campus combines modern China with the traditions and customs of its rich history. Its modern towers complement beautiful Chinese gardens and provide a stimulating and contemplative environment for learning.
Website of Program/University:
Unique Aspects of Program:
- Study at one of the top 5 universities in China
- Unique academic structure with opportunities to take classes taught in English with local Chinese and other international students
- Live with Chinese students in high quality off-campus apartments for a more integrated experience
- Intensive orientation includes Tai Chi exercises and undertaking a range of other cultural activities including calligraphy, martial arts and Chinese cooking
- Trek a remote part of the Great Wall, and have the unique experience of spending the night in a watchtower
- Students participating on the Shanghai semester program have the option to undertake a part-time internship in conjunction with their academic studies.
Country and/or City Information:
Situated on the Yangtze River and originally a fishing village, today’s Shanghai is a multi-cultural metropolis with both modern and traditional Chinese features. A population of 18.7 million makes it China’s largest city and the commercial center of the country. The river divides the city, with the striking skyline of the Pudong New District on one side and the centuries-old charm of the Bund on the other.
Pudong is Shanghai’s “Manhattan” and the symbol of new China with cutting-edge architecture and more than 3,000 financial organizations and enterprises doing business there. On the banks of the Bund, old Shanghai can still be found – from morning Tai Chi to the beautiful building lights of evening. Shanghai is a city of lively festivals, vibrant markets, endless shopping and countless cultural sites to visit.
2.70 GPA Open to sophomores, juniors and seniors
- Chinese Literature
Master list of courses found here:
Students will live in pre-arranged off-campus apartments close to campus. The apartments are fully furnished and include internet and phone service. Students share the apartments with local Chinese students to enhance their cultural immersion. On-campus housing is available upon request.
If you are a student at one of the U.S. Lasallian universities or colleges, you will remain enrolled at your school and pay tuition and program fees there. Tuition is based on your campus tuition rates and may include an additional surcharge depending on the program. Contact the person on your campus responsible for study abroad.
Fall Semester – Approximately 20 weeks (July through November)
Spring semester – Approximately 20 weeks (February through June)
Fall Semester – March 1
Spring semester – October 1
- For instructions on how to complete the The Education Abroad Network application, please go to:
- To access the The Education Abroad Nework application go to:
“My internship was one of the highlights of my time in China. My experience would have been so much different without it. I never would have been able to find an internship on my own and I loved the law firm I worked for. My co-workers became good friends and I felt I really experienced what it was like to live and work in China. I even got to experience home life as one of the lawyers of the firm paid me to tutor English to his children once a week. I am sad to be leaving, I will miss Shanghai and all my new friends. This has been an amazing experience.”