The goals of the program are as follows:
- To familiarize students with the concept of translation studies by reading informed criticism in the theoretical field, thereby contextualizing the discipline in general terms.
- To enhance the student’s knowledge of Spanish.
- To provide limited training in consecutive and simultaneous interpreting, as these skills are required in most fields using translators in the United States.
- To develop the specialized vocabulary and concepts needed to work bilingually in law, business, and medicine.
- To gain an inside and outside perspective of the Hispanic and Anglo cultures, so as to grasp the translator’s place in a professional setting.
- To assist in the training of students in multi-competencies for employment purposes.
- To keep pace with the need for linguistic specialists.
- To offer graduate credits, representing academic achievement, to our students for the marketing of their translating skills.