Candidates for La Salle’s M.A. in TESOL program must meet the following admission standards:
- Provide evidence of successful academic achievement in completion of a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution of higher education. A GPA of 3.0 or better is desirable. An “official” transcript from the college/university where the baccalaureate degree was earned is required.
- Acceptable scores on the Miller Analogies Test (MAT). GRE (Graduate Record Exam) results are also acceptable. Arrangements to take the MAT may be made with the Counseling Center at La Salle University. Please call: 215.951.1355. This requirement may be waived for those applicants that already hold an advanced degree. This requirement may also be waived for those applicants with an undergraduate GPA (Grade Point Average) of 3.5 or better. An official transcript as proof of an advanced degree will be required.
- Generally, applicants to this program should already posses a currently valid teaching certificate (Instructional Level 1 or 2 in the case of Pennsylvania-issued teaching certificates). A copy of the teaching certificate is required.
- The applicants must submit two letters of recommendation from former professors or current supervisors who can provide insight about his/hers abilities and talents, as well as comment on his/her aptitude/capacity for graduate level studies.
- The applicant must submit a 500-1,000 words essay stating why he/ she is interested in the program and what are his/her goals related to this program including those goals related to career, research and academic accomplishments.
- For students whose native language is not English and who do not hold a degree from a U.S. Institution, the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is required. TOEFL scores must be less than two years old to be considered. Only official documents of this exam will be accepted. Students need to score a minimum of 600 (paper-based), 250 (computer-based), or 100 (Internet-based) with a minimum of a 20 in the IBT speaking section. In lieu of the TOEFL, the minimum acceptable composite score for the IELTS is 7. In addition to this testing requirement and a review of undergraduate academic transcripts, a personal interview is required.
- Applicants are considered for acceptance into the program throughout the academic year. The application for admission may be obtained by contacting the Graduate Academic Adviser, Ms. Guadalupe Da Costa Montesinos, via e-mail at email@example.com, by phone at 215.991.3592, by fax at 215.991.3546, or by mail at La Salle University, 1900 West Olney Ave., Philadelphia, PA 19141.
Candidates may also contact the Director, Dr. Carmen E. Lamas directly via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 215.951.1209.