History of Graduate Studies
Graduate programs have been available at La Salle from the earliest days of its existence. The more modern development of graduate education on our campus began in 1950 in response to the needs of the sponsoring religious congregation, the Christian Brothers. That year saw the introduction of the master’s program in religion, initially introduced to train the young Brothers in theology.
With the growth of the institution since the late 1940s, and the added distinction of university status granted by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in 1984, the graduate programs have grown in diversity. In 1998, La Salle introduced its first doctoral program—a Psy.D. in Clinical Psychology. The University now offers a variety of doctoral, master’s and graduate certificate programs in face-to-face, hybrid, and online formats for the convenience of its students.