Student Learning Outcomes of the Five-Year Program
The following objectives reflect entry-level competency in all the basic human communication and swallowing areas including articulation, fluency, voice and resonance, receptive and expressive language, hearing including the impact on speech and language, swallowing, cognitive and social aspects of communication, and communication modalities.
The codes listed at the end of each objective refer to the ASHA Certification Standards 2014.
- Demonstrate proficiency in oral and written communication sufficient for entry into professional practice. (V-A)
- Apply basic biological/physical science, statistics, and behavioral/social science to the study of communication and swallowing disorders. (IV-A)
- Analyze/synthesize, and evaluate information in the areas of basic human communication and swallowing processes. (IV-B)
- Contrast basic human communication and swallowing processes with communication and swallowing disorders and differences. (IV-B, IV-C)
- Demonstrate clinical skill in assessment, intervention, and prevention of human communication and swallowing disorders. (IV-C, IV-D, IV-E, V-B, V-C, V-D)
- Integrate and demonstrate ethical, legal, and professional standards in the provision of speech-language pathology services. (IV-F, IV-G, V-B)
- Integrate research with clinical knowledge to improve evaluation and treatment of individuals with communication and swallowing disorders. (IV-B, IV-C, IV-D, IV-E, IV-F, IV-G, V-B, V-C)
- Critique professional issues in speech-language pathology and advocate for individuals with communication and swallowing disorders. (IV-D, IV-E, IV-F, IV-G)
- Pursue education and credentials necessary for obtaining/maintaining certification and licensure for ongoing professional development. (IV-G, IV-H, V-C, V-D, V-E, V-F)SCHOOL OF NURSING AND HEALTH SCIENCES Speech-Langugage-Hearing Science • 173
- Implement appropriate assessment and intervention for diverse client populations with communication and swallowing disorders. (IV-B, IV-C, IV-D, V-B, V-C, V-D, V-F)
- Evaluate individuals with communication and swallowing disorders utilizing appropriate diagnostic tools. (IV-C, IV-D, V-B, V-C, V-D, V-F)
- Provide intervention for individuals with communication and swallowing disorders utilizing appropriate clinical methods and strategies. (IV-C, IV-D, V-B, V-C, V-D, V-F)
- Practice independently and collaboratively in various health care, and educational systems with appropriate professional manner. (IV-A through IV-H, V-A through V-F, VI)
Although the Master’s degree is the recognized credential to take the certification examination in Speech-Language Pathology and to become certified by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, a Bachelor of Science degree is also offered as a terminal degree.