Advising Program for First Year Students
“Good advising may be the single most underestimated characteristic of a successful college experience.”
Richard J. Light
Author of “Making the Most of College”
La Salle University initiated its Freshman Advising Program during the 2004- 2005 academic year and continues to make program improvements to meet students’ needs. Currently, the program uses the services of advisors from all academic departments and appropriate members of the administration to assist students in the transition from high school to college.
Among other things, advisors help students in a variety of ways:
- selecting courses and registering
- understanding university policies and curriculum
- developing academic and career goals
- identifying values, interests, and abilities
- developing decision-making skills and accepting responsibility
- making use of campus resources
- becoming lifelong learners
- understanding the value of a college education
- developing self-advocacy skills
For more information about first-year advising, contact Melissa Gallagher at 215.951.5115 or firstname.lastname@example.org.