The Biology Department of La Salle University is dedicated to the Lasallian tradition of excellence in teaching. We are committed to developing the full intellectual, personal, and social potential of our students in an environment of mutual respect and cooperation.
The faculty of La Salle’s Biology Department serves qualified students interested in pursuing further education and careers in the health professions, the physical sciences, the life sciences, and science education. In addition, we provide for non-science majors a variety of foundation level courses that explore biological issues of interest and concern to the general public.
La Salle has a long and proud tradition of training undergraduates for admission to health profession schools. We believe it important to provide these undergraduates with courses that emphasize the general principles of the life sciences and that address a diverse range of current scientific issues. We are equally committed to preparing students for graduate work in the life sciences, for careers in scientific/clinical technology, or for careers in science education by providing them with broadly based theoretical and laboratory training. We feel the development of critical thinking skills and the establishment of a firm understanding of the foundational principles of the life sciences are the best preparation for more specialized professional and graduate training.
We believe the academic experience should provide an opportunity for mutual advancement and sharing of excitement for science through supportive yet challenging dialogue among faculty and students.
- Implant strong foundational knowledge in principles of biology
- Instill a set of core competencies: critical thinking, data analysis, scientific communication and laboratory skills
- Prepare graduates for professional school, graduate school and employment in fields related to biology
- Adapt to the diversity of students’ needs and backgrounds
- Foster continuing development of faculty, in both teaching and research
- Develop and expand collaborations between departments and external partners
- Engage all constituencies in a La Sallian community supporting life science teaching, learning and research
Stefan Samulewicz, Chair
Staff Contact Information
Holroyd Hall 239
PROFESSORS: Ballough, Pierce
ASSOCIATE PROFESSORS: DeHaven, Samulewicz, Seitchik
ASSISTANT PROFESSORS: Church, Hazell
VISITING ASSISTANT PROFESSOR: McClory
PROFESSOR EMERITUS: Belzer