F-1 Student Program

What is an F-1 Student Visa?

After you gained acceptance to La Salle and were issued a valid I-20 form you became eligible for an F-1 visa to enter the United States as a full-time student. Unless you have a special circumstance or a relationship that allows you to study under another type of visa, you are considered an F-1 student.

Under U.S. law, an F-1 student is a non-immigrant studying full-time at a government-approved institution like La Salle University to attain an educational or professional objective such as a English Language, Bachelor’s, Master’s, or Doctoral degree. Once you have obtained your degree or certifications the U.S. government expects you to return to your home country unless you have received special authorization from the government to continue residing in the U.S.

How to Obtain an F-1 Visa

Due to increased security concerns in the United States, especially for citizens from countries in sensitive areas, the requirements for obtaining an F-1 visa vary widely from country to country. Please consult the United States Consulate in your home country or in the country you plan to apply for your visa for specific details about requirements. The following checklist includes all the information that may be required from you when you appear for a visa interview at a U.S. consulate.  Students are unable to apply for a visa more than 120 days prior to the I-20 start date.

Helpful Links:

How to Obtain an F-1 Visa:  Required Documents Checklist

At your interview for an F-1 visa, U.S. consular officials may expect you to have the following information:

  • Form SEVIS I-20 completed and signed by the DSO of La Salle University
  • Pay your I-901 Fee: https://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/i-901-sevis-fee-payment-tutorial
  • Receipt of paying the SEVIS fee: http://www.fmjfee.com/
  • Evidence of financial ability to meet expenses-bank statements, letters of responsibility from parents or sponsors in the U.S. credit card statements, etc. Please try to use the same information you shared with La Sale to gain acceptance to the university.
  • Evidence of sufficient English ability-TOEFL scores, transcripts or certificate of completion from an English program, etc.
  • Evidence of intent to depart U.S. after studies-personal letter stating your future goals of returning after program completion, letter from home sponsor or parent explaining the purpose of your studies and your eventual return, etc.
  • Form DS-160
  • Passport style photograph
  • Academic Transcripts-English translations
  • Visa fees (if applicable)

Most sources say it is quicker and easier for students to apply for visas from their home country.

When to Apply

An F-1 visa cannot be issued more than 120 days prior to the start date on the I-20.  An I-20 can be issued by the school as soon as the student is accepted and the official financial documentation is adequately submitted.  A student can apply for an F-1 visa more than 120 days prior to the I-20 start date, however the visa will not be issued until it is 120 days or less before the I-20 start date.

When to enter the U.S.

A student cannot enter the U.S. more than 30 days prior to the I-20 start date.  Please refer to your I-20 to find your start date.