< back to faculty list
Robert M. Vogel
B.S., Philadelphia University
M.Ed., Temple University
Ed.D., Temple University
I am a former teacher of special needs children at the middle and high school level in the School District of Philadelphia. I have consulted with school districts nationally in the areas of instructional strategies, leadership development, and middle school writing. I have spent the past three years working on an initiative bringing the Freedom Writers Diary program to the Philadelphia area. My most recent book is called Voices of Teens: Writers Matter –Lives in the City, based on my work with middle school students in Philadelphia. I co-direct the Leadership and Global Understanding minor at the University and have offered travel study courses the past eight years to over 12 countries. In 2006, I received the Provost's Distinguished Faculty Service Award.
- Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development
- National Middle School Association
- Council for Exceptional Children (Teacher Education Division)
- Pi Lambda Theta Honorary Society; International Alliance of Teacher Scholars
- Association of American Colleges and Universities
Certificates or Awards
- Board of Trustees - Akiba Hebrew Academy. Serve as co-chair of the Education Committee (1992 to present)
- Board of Directors - Anti-Defamation League (ADL). Served as Chairperson of the Education committee for the Philadelphia region and was representative to the National Commission of Education to the ADL (1999-2005).
- Currently serving on Bearing Witness committee, a Holocaust Program for Catholic School teachers (2005-present)
- Vogel, R.M and Galbraith, M., and (2007). Voices of teens: Writers matters –Lives in the city. National Middle School Association (book to be published November 2007)
- Feden, P.D., and Vogel, R.M. (2003) Methods of teaching: Applying cognitive science to promote student learning. Boston: McGraw-Hill.
- Yost, D.S., Vogel, R., & Rosenberg, M.D. (in press). The change process: The transition from teacher to instructional leader. The Middle School Journal.
- Yost, D.S., Moses-Royal, S., & Vogel, R. (in press). It takes a village: Partnerships enhancing achievement in urban schools. American School Board Journal.
- Yost, D.S., & Vogel, R. (2007). Urban professional development: Working to create successful teachers and achieving students. Middle School Journal, 38(3), 34-40.
- Yost, D.S., & Vogel, R. (2006). Successful teachers, achieving students: What works in urban professional development. National Middle School Journal.
- Vogel, R. M. (2001) It's All About Time. Article published as part of Project 2001: Flexible Scheduling and Staff Development Models for Jewish Day Schools, 111-120. Published on-line by Bar Ilan University, Israel. Lookstein Center for Jewish Education Center. Article solicited by Lookstein Center for Jewish Education.
- Feden, P.D., Vogel, R.M., and Clabaugh, G.K. (1992). Preparing expert teachers: Transcending the school-as-factory. Educational Horizons, 70(3), 130-134.
- Clabaugh, G.K, Feden, P.D., and Vogel, R.M. (1984). Revolutionizing teacher education: Training developmentally-oriented teachers. Phi Delta Kappan, 65(9), 615-616.