La Salle University has a long-standing commitment to service. Each year La Salle awards $5,000 scholarships to students who have been involved in community service and who will commit themselves to continued service throughout their undergraduate careers.
At a Glance
- Award Amount: $5,000 per year
- For first-time freshmen
- Separate application required
- Deadline: January 19th
Eligibility: New full-time incoming freshmen with an extensive service background and a demonstrated interest in future service may apply for the Community Service Scholarship. Candidates must commit themselves to the requirements of the scholarship outlined below.
Requirements: The scholarship, $2,500 per semester ($5,000 per academic year), may be applied to tuition or room and board for the regular academic year. This scholarship can be combined with other forms of La Salle University merit-based financial aid. However, the sum of La Salle merit-based aid and the Community Service Scholarship cannot exceed the cost of tuition and mandatory fees. Successful fulfillment of the scholarship requirements and the spirit of community-building among all the scholars are the bases for each semester’s renewal.
Community Service Scholarship recipients are required to:
- Maintain a 2.5 or higher cumulative grade point average
- Attend an overnight retreat early in the fall semester
- Attend twice-monthly Community Service Scholarship group meetings
- Perform 7 hours per week of community service
- Submit a reflection journal and meet individually with the program coordinator monthly
- Contribute actively to community-building among all scholarship recipients
- Live in the Signum Fidei living-learning community in a residence hall the first year
- Demonstrate good social and behavioral status in accordance with the spirit of the University’s mission and goals
Follow all the directions carefully when completing the application and answer all questions on the application. Once you submit the form, you will be unable to retrieve it for revision.
All applications must be submitted online no later than January 19th.