The Business Leadership Fellows Program has been designed to provide students with the opportunities to develop the following core competencies identified by the National Association of Colleges and Employers:
- Career Management: Identify and articulate one’s skills, strengths, knowledge, and experiences relevant to the position desired and career goals, and identify areas necessary for professional growth. Fellows are able to navigate and explore job options, understand and take steps necessary to pursue opportunities, etc.
- Collaboration/Teamwork: Build collaborative relationships with colleagues and customers representing diverse cultures, races, ages, genders, religions, lifestyles, and viewpoints. Fellows are able to work within a team structure, and can negotiate and manage conflict.
- Leadership: Leverage the strengths of others to achieve common goals, and use interpersonal skills to coach and develop others. Fellows are able to assess and manage their emotions and those of others; use empathetic skills to guide and motivate; and organize, prioritize, and delegate work.
- Social Responsibility: An awareness and understanding of the various political and social processes that impacts the nature and quality of life in campus, local, state, or global communities. Fellows participate in learning, reflection, and demonstrates an appreciation for civic engagement values by taking action in real world settings, to improve quality of life and to create better communities.
- Critical Thinking/Problem Solving: Exercise sound reasoning to analyze issues, make decisions, and overcome problems. Fellows are able to obtain, interpret, and use knowledge, facts, and data in this process, and may demonstrate originality and inventiveness.
- Oral/Written Communications: Articulate thoughts and ideas clearly and effectively in written and oral forms to persons inside and outside of the organization. Fellows have public speaking skills; are able to express ideas to others; and can write/edit memos, letters, and complex technical reports clearly and effectively.