Joseph Burke, F.S.C., Ph.D.
Professor & Chair, Department of Psychology!
Office: Wister M-15
Brother Joseph Burke received his B.A. degree in English from La Salle University in 1969, a M.Ed. in Educational Administration from the University of Miami in 1971, and a Ph.D. in Human Behavior from United States International University in 1973. Brother Burke joined the Psychology Department in 1973, and served as Department Chair from 1978-1986. In 1996 he was awarded a yearlong Fellowship in higher education administration from the American Council on Education. He spent that year at the University of Hartford, and then remained there as a dean for the next three years. In 1990 he become Provost at La Salle, and from 1992-1998 served as the University’s President. Brother Burke became chair of the Psychology Department again in 2002, an office he still holds. He is the author of a graduate level textbook on psychotherapy, as well as numerous articles and book chapters. He is a licensed psychologist in Pennsylvania, and his current research interests include the history of psychology, clinical hypnosis, and psychological services to adjudicated minors. He serves on the board of directors of several non-profits, including a psychiatric hospital.
Areas of Expertise
History of Psychology, Clinical Hypnosis in CBT, Forensic Psychology, Psychology of Religion
- B.A., English, La Salle University
- M.Ed., Educational Administration, University of Miami
- Ph.D., Human Behavior (Psychology & Anthropology), United States International University (now Alliant International University).
- Licensed Psychologist in Pennsylvania.
- PSY 220: Abnormal Psychology
- PSY 430: History and Systems of Psychology
- PSY 500: Theories of Counseling and Psychotherapy
- PSY 724: History and Systems
- PSY 743: Clinical Hypnosis
Burke, J. F. (1989). Contemporary Approaches to psychotherapy and counseling: The self-regulation and maturity model. Pacific Grove, CA: Brooks/Cole Publishing Co.
Psychological Services in the Juvenile Justice System in Pennsylvania. Sabbatical Symposium, 2011.
- American Psychological Association
- Pennsylvania Psychological Association (Fellow)
- The American Society of Clinical Hypnosis
Psy.D. in Clinical Psychology
La Salle University
1900 West Olney Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19141 USA
La Salle University reserves the right to alter or change this information
at any time, without notice.