Upon completion of the MPH Program, graduates will be able to:
- Analyze determinants of health and disease using an ecological framework.
- Explain the role of epidemiology in informing scientific, ethical, economic, and political discussion of health issues.
- Describe the role biostatistics serves in the discipline of public health research and practice.
- Identify genetic, physiologic, and psychosocial factors that affect susceptibility to adverse health outcomes following exposure to environmental hazards.
- Describe the legal and ethical bases for public health and health services.
- Apply the principles of program planning, development, budgeting, management, and evaluation in organizational and community initiatives.
- Compare basic theories, concepts, and models from a range of social and behavioral disciplines used in public health research and practice.
- Apply informatics and communication methods and resources as strategic tools to promote public health.
- Apply basic principles of ethical analysis (e.g. the Public Health Code of Ethics, human rights framework, other moral theories) to issues of public health practice and policy.
Vulnerable Populations Specific Competencies
- Explain how professional ethics and practices relate to equity and accountability in diverse settings.
- Develop public health programs and strategies responsive to the diverse cultural values and traditions of the communities being served
- Explain how the contexts of gender, race, poverty, history, migration, and culture are important in the design of interventions within public health systems.
- Collaborate with community partners to prioritize individual, organizational, and community concerns related to the health of vulnerable populations.
Note: Competencies adapted from the Association of Schools of Public Health (ASPH) +Master’s Degree in Public Health Core Competency Development Project
La Salle University reserves the right to alter or change this information
at any time, without notice.
© Copyright 2012 La Salle University